Monday, September 13, 2010

Role Play





It is no surprise that my role as a nurse has been limited since we moved to Wichita over 3 years ago. In order to meet the demands of Josh's residency and to provide the consistency in parenting that we wanted for our children, my nursing career got temporarily placed placed on hold. Instead I found a really flexible PRN position as an IV nurse. I really enjoyed the low stress, yet adult interaction I received from that position. However, as time went on and more children were born, it became increasingly difficult for me to even meet the requirements of the flexible position. I had to officially give my resignation a couple weeks ago. We are at a place in our lives when Josh can provide more for our family, Cole is VERY attached to me, and the kids and I have achieved a pretty good routine. It has taken time, but I understand and appreciate the ROLE I play in our family at this time. I am maintaining my license so there is no doubt that I will be returning to the bedside as a nurse in the future to fulfill that role.

As difficult as it was for me to slowly let go of my role as nurse over these past 3 years, I am finding a lot of joy and peace with my role now. I am a stay at home mom who juggles drop off and pick up of two preschoolers in separate schools and who attend at different times and days of the week. I am a mom who makes sure her daughter gets to her additional therapies during the week, and who juggles routine errands and nursing her son amidst our crazy jolts across Wichita. To add to my role as SAHM, I am the secretary and outreach co-coordinator for the Down Syndrome Society of Wichita and I am now the business manager for my husband's new medical practice, ATLAS MD. I have gained awesome skills in basic business accounting/bookkeeping and now payroll!! Who would have thought I would be doing that! I am pretty proud of the new roles I have been playing lately. So . . . . as difficult as it was to relinquish my role as LISA RN, BSN, I have found renewed peace and pride in the role I am playing at this point in my life. I am able to support my kids and my husband. What can get better than that.

3 comments:

  1. Finally created a google account so I could comment! Way to go on all your new roles! A mom wears so many hats!

    Jill B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now getting around to reading this (few things on my plate lately :). Just wanted to say good for you for keeping up with so many jobs! I'd love to get into the business side of things (payroll, billing etc) once the kids area all in school. We'll see what the future holds...

    ReplyDelete